Greetings everyone! Welcome to our new Class of 2017 and Welcome Back to all those who are returning for another year at Salve.
Make sure you find time to stop in the library and say hi to friendly librarians and staff and even take a short tour of the library with a librarian (tours are given on-demand, so just ask at the information desk!). Also our Floor Plans and Maps page gives a layout of each floor along with floor maps. We also have a mobile site— take the library wherever you go!
You can also find an overview of how to find items in the library on Step 4 of the Smart Student Research Guide!
What’s New in the Library
Upgraded study rooms
Study room 204 has been upgraded! Take a look at the new 60″ wall-mounted display with Cable TV access, dedicated PC with wireless keyboard/mouse, large confernce-style table with touch-panel! A conference-style table has also been added to room 217 with seating for 17! Room 306 now has a cart with 42″ display, dedicated PC, connections for your laptop and access to Cable TV. For a full list of what’s in each study room, see our study room page.
Gadgets for Checkout
The library has a number of gadgets and items for purchase or check-out! Just go to the front Circulation desk (1st FL) and bring your Salve ID. We have small desk fans, headphones, Mac chargers, and even iPads!
Here’s the list of items we currently have available:
The library now has a portable turntable for checkout at the circulation desk. Students can check the turntable out for up to a week. The Crosley Mini Turntable includes full range stereo speakers and an adjustable tone control. It is enclosed in a handy carrying case. The library also has a small collection of records available for
circulation including Louis Armstrong, Ella Fitzgerald and the Grateful Dead.
See the Computers & Technology page for the full list of technology available in the library, including lists of software on public computers.
Printing in the Library
As a Salve student, you receive $20.00 worth of free printing each semester on your Salve ID, which includes 200 sheets of single-sided black & white printing or 40 sheets of double-sided color printing. Black & White printing costs .10 cents per page and Color printing costs .25 cents per page. (Please note that color printing will deplete the number of allotted pages faster.)
The library has received new multifunction printers over the summer. They function the same as the previous printers with features such as: double-sided printing, color & black/white, and scan-to-email. You can now even print .pdf files directly from a USB flash drive or scan documents to a flash drive. See our Printing in the Library page for tutorials.
About McKillop Library and Learning Commons
The Learning Commons is an active, comfortable space that encourages students to explore, create and collaborate in a technology-rich environment.
The Learning Commons offers:
- Over 70,000 total square feet;
- 4 technology-equipped group study rooms, which can be reserved online
- Combined total of over 250 seats in a mix of configurations;
- Seminar-style electronic classroom with teacher station, SmartBoard, 14 hideaway laptops, 11 desktop PCs, and a conference-style table seating;
- Silent floor (3rd FL) with individual study spaces;
- Collaborative study areas with moveable whiteboards;
- Curriculum Resource Center for Education majors
- Provides an all-purpose meeting place plus exhibits and events
Resources and Technology:
- 90 PC and 16 Mac workstations;
- 5 network printers with scan-to-email, scan-to-USB, double-sided and color printing features; wireless printing also available (PC and Mac compatible; Salve students only)
- Wireless access throughout the building;
- Access to the libraries’ physical collections and services;
- Bookends Café
- 2 Microfilm readers (2nd FL)
Members of our friendly staff at either the Information Desk (1st FL) or Circulation Desk (1st FL) will help you with all of the services the library offers. You can also call, chat, text, or email your questions.
Have a comment or suggestion for the library? Let us know–we welcome your feedback!.
We’ll regularly post research tips, contests, movie/book recommendations, new arrivals, events and more here on our blog, so check back often for new information!