Greetings everyone! Welcome to our new Class of 2021 and Welcome Back to all of you who are returning for another great year at Salve Regina.
Make sure you find time to stop in the library and say hi to friendly librarians and staff. Our Floor Plans and Maps page gives a layout of each floor.
Over the summer, we made some improvements to our online search interface. In response to user feedback regarding our new library catalog, changes were recently made to this search tool to improve the usability and overall search experience. The catalog is now focused primarily on finding books, ebooks, and videos (this search is the default search from the library home page):
Users can perform a quick search for articles by clicking on the “articles” tab, which will search EBSCOhost databases:
To search other research databases, such as JSTOR, Science Direct, CINAHL Complete, Academic Search Complete, or Lexis Nexis, users can find lists of research databases under the databases button on the library webpage.
The online bibliography tool Easybib was recently purchased by another company, which decided to discontinue the library subscription version of Easybib. Unfortunately this means that the library is no longer able to offer access to Easybib Premium. The library continues to offer access to RefWorks, which provides similar functionality to Easybib. Please contact a librarian if you have questions about RefWorks or the changes to Easybib.
We have also acquired some new databases, which are:
- America’s News: A large collection of full-text U.S. newspapers. 1978-present.
- Providence Journal Historical: Historical coverage of newspaper from Providence, Rhode Island. 1832-1978
- Gale Literary Sources: Previously called Artemis Literary Sources. Includes literary criticism, author biographies, work overviews, and articles from the Gale databases Contemporary Authors Online, Literature Criticism Online, Literature Resource Center, LitFinder, Scribner Writers on GVRL, Something About the Author Online, and Twayne’s Authors.
- Kanopy: A large collection of online streaming documentaries, instructional videos and feature films.
- Slavery in America and the World: History, Culture & Law: All known law related materials on slavery in the United States and the English-speaking world. This includes every statute passed by every colony and state on slavery, every federal statute dealing with slavery, and all reported state and federal cases on slavery.
- Something About the Author: Provides information on the lives and works of authors and illustrators writing books for children and young adults.
Find these databases on our new database page; you can also access any database by clicking on the “Databases” button from the library home page.
Want to study in a group? The library has four study rooms (one on the 2nd FL and 3 on the 3rd FL). Most rooms have large tables with moveable chairs, desktop computer(s), a whiteboard and additional technology such as large screen displays to connect your laptop.
Reserve any study room online anytime with any device! For a full list of what’s in each study room, see our study room page.
Library Lessons Workshops
“Library Lessons” is a series of workshops led by librarians to assist you with various aspects of research such as navigating the online catalog, citing sources, searching databases and more (click for full list of workshop topics). Registration is required. Register online at http://library.salve.edu/librarylessons/register.html.
Visit our Makerspace
Need to make a poster or collage? Or perhaps a swanky button? Or just need a fun distraction from all that studying (whew!)? Come to the Makerspace (Library 2nd FL)! We offer free supplies like pipe cleaners, colored paper, crayons and more, as well as a button maker, CriCut machine and laminator (bring your own laminating sheets please). Have fun!
We also offer free craft workshops in the Makerspace starting in October on the 1st Sunday of every month at 3:30 pm (no registration required and materials are provided). Information on each craft will be posted as the date approaches.
Computers & Technology
See the Computers & Technology page for the full list of technology available in the library, including software on public computers (PCs and Macs), technology in the study rooms and items for check-out such as an iPad 2. The Media Services department in User Support Services also loans equipment such as video cameras, microphone headsets and more. Click for a full list (Ground Level of the library).
Did you know we have a whole browsing area of popular books? It’s a great way to discover books for fun beach reading. Also check out our vast collection of films on DVD! Both areas are located on the 1st FL, East Wing (to the left side as you enter the front door).
Always remember to bring your Salve ID card to be able to…
- Borrow books and other items
- Check-out course reserves
- Make photocopies or scan documents to email
- Print from computers or wirelessly from your laptop