April has been a busy month so far! We have created a number of book and video displays for your enjoyment…
National Poetry Month
It’s National Poetry Month, which was inaugurated by the Academy of American Poets in 1996. We have a fantastic display of poetry books on the 1st FL (across from where DVDs are located) created by Kristin “Kiki” Butler, special programs librarian. With books hanging from the walls and in glass cases, the display itself is a work of art! Feel free to take any of the books from the display for check-out (the cases are unlocked). Also visit the library on April 26 for “Poem in Your Pocket Day” and grab your very own poem for your pocket!
Arab American Heritage Month
On our diversity display shelf, we are celebrating Arab American Heritage Month! View a selected assortment of books on this topic (display is located on the 1st FL across from the circulation desk). Borrow any of the books, just take them to the front desk for check-out! Book display created by Nancy Barta-Norton, acquisitions and cataloging librarian.
Sexual Assault Awareness Month
Sexual Assault Statistics in the United States:
- One in five women and one in 71 men will be raped at some point in their lives
- In the U.S., one in three women and one in six men experienced some form of contact sexual violence in their lifetime
- 51.1% of female victims of rape reported being raped by an intimate partner and 40.8% by an acquaintance
- 52.4% of male victims report being raped by an acquaintance and 15.1% by a stranger
- Almost half (49.5%) of multiracial women and over 45% of American Indian/Alaska Native women were subjected to some form of contact sexual violence in their lifetime
- 91% of victims of rape and sexual assault are female, and nine percent are male
- In eight out of 10 cases of rape, the victim knew the perpetrator
- Eight percent of rapes occur while the victim is at work
To bring awareness to this issue we have created a book display on the 1st FL West Wing (right side, next to the information desk). Feel free to take a sticker to show your support (while supplies last) and wear jeans on April 25 for Denim Day to support victims of sexual violence. Book display created by Nancy Barta-Norton, acquisitions and cataloging librarian.
I ❤ the 90s DVDs
The 90s was a great decade in so many ways, and many now iconic films were created during those ten years. Kristin “Kiki” Butler, special programs librarian, has created a display of some of the best film pics from that era. Revisit an old favorite or find something new!